With Easter around the corner, chocolate is everywhere in the office at Petplan HQ. We can’t get enough of it!
However, we are always mindful that chocolate isn’t so tasty for our canine and feline friends. Many pet owners know that chocolate is off limits, but what signs will your furry friend show you should they have a nibble of some chocolate.
Dogs, always sniffing and smelling out a scent are always at risk of picking up a piece of chocolate from the floor and being a victim of chocolate toxicity.
Cocoa beans contain theobromine, a compound similar to caffeine. It is toxic to animals, as they are much more sensitive to these substances. Also, the darker the chocolate the higher the risk, as it contains a higher concentration of cocoa.
Your pet may have ingested chocolate if they show the following symptoms:
- Excessive thirst
- Increase in body temperature
- Muscle twitching
Do not panic if this is the case; keep yourself and your pet calm. Ring up your local vet for support and advice. You may need to take them to the vet immediately. Note that symptoms vary in type and quantity of chocolate consumed, and in turn, will impact the severity of the condition.
During these very exciting and fun times, remember to keep your furry friends safe! Happy Easter!